• October 6, 2014 at 7:31 pm #457
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi everyone. I want to apply for dv-2016 but I do not complete high school I have more than 10 years of experienc as bricklayer and plasterer. And I would to ask, can I be eligibility to apply for dv-2016. Thanx to all, please if anyone know answer to me.

October 6, 2014 at 9:30 pm #460
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello there! first, thanks for joining and posting your thread over here.
    Positively, Yes you can apply to DV-2016 . been qualified to enter DV program needs to have at least a high school degree ( an equivalent of 12 years of school ) , OR holding a work diploma with at least 2 years of experience in that field..
    so by the end, if your country is eligible for DV-2016 ( check DV-2016 instructions ) , then Yes you can apply and let us hope you make it 😀
    All the best and good luck!
    ^ sam

October 7, 2014 at 1:57 pm #465
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for your welcoming and your answer Samuel.Yes I have work experience but I do not have a work diploma. Is necessary to have a work diploma,if I show a reference letre from my employer can be it acceptable ?

October 7, 2014 at 4:21 pm #466
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for your welcoming and your answer Samuel.Yes I have work experience but I do not have a work diploma. Is necessary to have a work diploma,if I show a reference letre from my employer can be it acceptable ?

well, at this time, i do not think that would be accepted.. cause they care more about holding a work diploma, not just a work certificate or employment letter from your employers. i suggest you get a another type of high school degree which we call at our location ( literally translated ) “Free Baccalaureate” for those who couldn’t make it back at their high schools.

so think twice, you may want to work on getting a work diploma in the field you are working in currently, and then you can apply and your visa wouldn’t be denied as a non qualified winner.

best of luck 🙂

October 15, 2014 at 1:50 am #478
    Ronit Tamrakar

Hi! I am from Nepal.I want to apply for DV-2016 but I have my completed high school degree 3 years ago and have just completed my bachelors degree but waiting for the result to come.So which (highest level education) option should I choose while registering?
    And do my photograph needs to be really perfect?

October 15, 2014 at 9:32 am #480
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi! I am from Nepal.I want to apply for DV-2016 but I have my completed high school degree 3 years ago and have just completed my bachelors degree but waiting for the result to come.So which (highest level education) option should I choose while registering? And do my photograph needs to be really perfect?

Hello Ronit,
    first thanks for posting here.
    if you are 100% sure you’ll get your bachelor degree from university, then choose ” University Degree ” in question 12, highest level of education you have achieved.
    but, if you are not sure that you’ll get your bachelor by the end, you can choose ” Some University Courses “.
    highest level of education - dv lottery forum

it is up to you to decide. and as for your photo, here’s a tutorial video i made on that :
    https://ventureseed.com/immigration/forums/topic/how-to-fixedit-your-dv-lottery-registration-photo/

All the best, and Good Luck 😀

October 17, 2014 at 8:08 pm #513
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Samuel,

I’m sorry, but the answer to the OP about applying with work experience as a Bricklayer/Plasterer is incorrect. That type of work does not meet the requirement as laid out in the rules – the job has to meet the requirements defined in the O*Net database.

I have written a more complete explanation of that point here – http://britsimonsays.com/?p=102

October 17, 2014 at 8:52 pm #514
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Samuel,
    I’m sorry, but the answer to the OP about applying with work experience as a Bricklayer/Plasterer is incorrect. That type of work does not meet the requirement as laid out in the rules – the job has to meet the requirements defined in the O*Net database.
    I have written a more complete explanation of that point here – http://britsimonsays.com/?p=102

Thank You for joining Brit !! well if it is you, i have heard lots of things about you in DV forums. and i always been in your blog britsimonsays.com as well 😉 ! glad to have you here !
    Actually i know about that and it’s really good to have a high school diploma to avoid all these work qualifications. and by the way, do you have a list for non qualified jobs for DV-2016 and which are available in the states and not accepted in entrants ? i have so many lists but for previous fiscal years. i know you have a good experience in these stuff so just asking you.
    Thanks Brit

October 17, 2014 at 9:14 pm #515
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Samuel – yes it is me 🙂

There is a “list” of qualifying jobs per se – but the experience should match a job description on the O*Net database with a Specific Vocational Preparation (SVP) range of 7.0 or higher. Since these ratings may change, it is best to check and align their work experience to the detailed descriptions on O*Net. My blog post has a description of how to search that database and it is possible to use some creativity to build a case aligning to a qualifying job as a subtle change in job title can make a difference.

October 17, 2014 at 9:25 pm #516
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank You so much. i can tell now.
    i highly recommend for other readers to check your post [http://britsimonsays.com/?p=102] and know whether there work diploma and experience meets the requirements on o*net online ( http://www.onetonline.org ). grateful 🙂

October 25, 2014 at 1:37 pm #602
    Alex Ve

Hi, I have applied for the 2015 lottery and have been selected for further processing.
    What I would like to ask is, I haven’t finished high school, only a Vocational training school with a diploma in graphic design which is a profession that meets the requirements of the lottery.
    I also have a 10 year experience in this profession and I can provide a reference letter from my current employer and a couple of others.
    1) Are my vocational diploma in graphic design and my employer’s reference letter sufficient enough as far as the educational/work requirements are concerned?

2) Does one have more chances of getting selected for further processing or issued a visa eventually, if he applies for the dv lottery on 1st october instead of late october and as well as complete the ds-260 form as soon as possible. Is there a chance for the rank number to be really low that way?

3) If I don’t get a visa issued on the day of my interview, or if my rank number is so high that I won’t even get an appointment arrangement, is there a possibility that I will be denied a travel visa if I ever intent to travel in the US in the future?

Also, my sister which is a US citizen now, will invite my mother in a couple of years to become a citizen herself, who in turn will invite me as her son to get a green card. Does anyone know if there might be any problem regarding the procedures of my mother’s invitation because of my disqualification from the lottery program?

I’m concerned because I recently found that I made a mistake in the lottery form, about the eligibility country. Instead of putting my country of birth, I put the country I currently live in and of which I am a citizen right now. And that mistake might be perceived by the consular that I purposefully lied to the US authorities or something like that.

I know I will be disqualified cause of that mistake for certain, but at least I hope I won’t be denied to travel in the US in the future, or denied a family based visa invitation from my mother.

Thank you.

October 25, 2014 at 3:18 pm #607
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I have applied for the 2015 lottery and have been selected for further processing.
    What I would like to ask is, I haven’t finished high school, only a Vocational training school with a diploma in graphic design which is a profession that meets the requirements of the lottery.
    I also have a 10 year experience in this profession and I can provide a reference letter from my current employer and a couple of others.
    1) Are my vocational diploma in graphic design and my employer’s reference letter sufficient enough as far as the educational/work requirements are concerned?

2) Does one have more chances of getting selected for further processing or issued a visa eventually, if he applies for the dv lottery on 1st october instead of late october and as well as complete the ds-260 form as soon as possible. Is there a chance for the rank number to be really low that way?

3) If I don’t get a visa issued on the day of my interview, or if my rank number is so high that I won’t even get an appointment arrangement, is there a possibility that I will be denied a travel visa if I ever intent to travel in the US in the future?

Also, my sister which is a US citizen now, will invite my mother in a couple of years to become a citizen herself, who in turn will invite me as her son to get a green card. Does anyone know if there might be any problem regarding the procedures of my mother’s invitation because of my disqualification from the lottery program?

I’m concerned because I recently found that I made a mistake in the lottery form, about the eligibility country. Instead of putting my country of birth, I put the country I currently live in and of which I am a citizen right now. And that mistake might be perceived by the consular that I purposefully lied to the US authorities or something like that.

I know I will be disqualified cause of that mistake for certain, but at least I hope I won’t be denied to travel in the US in the future, or denied a family based visa invitation from my mother.

Thank you.

OK to answer those questions.

1. The job qualifies, but you will need to build a solid case. Check this http://britsimonsays.com/education-or-work-experience-qualifying-for-the-dv-lottery/

2. No it is random – see this – http://britsimonsays.com/entering-the-dv-lottery-does-the-timing-of-the-entry-matter/

3. Yes that is a risk, but people have qualified for temporary visas after DV wins (and also after failure of the interview)

Your disqualification from the DV will not in itself affect a future petition unless you commit a fraud (not mistake) during the DV process.

If the countries cross regions then yes that mistake is disqualifying. If the two countries are within one region (like EU or AF region) then they will forgive the error. The error isn’t considered fraud unless you try and provide fraudulent documents to cover up the mistake – then the mistake would obviously be a deliberate fraud – and that would cause big problems.

October 25, 2014 at 3:33 pm #610
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you very much.
    Actually the countries are near each other but one belongs to Europe and the other is not.
    The countries are Albania and Greece, both of which I have a citizenship.

Would it be better to drop from the lottery program entirely, so that I don’t raise any suspicion of fraud intentions for my future petitions?

October 25, 2014 at 3:39 pm #611
    Anonymous
    Inactive

You misunderstand. Albania and Greece are both in the EU region. You will not be disqualified for your country error – so I suggest you get your paperwork ready!!!!!
    🙂

October 25, 2014 at 3:49 pm #612
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh, googling just now it says that Albania is a “EU candidate country”. I don’t think it is fully integrated as a EU member.
    Anyway, maybe I’m looking too much into this.
    I guess I won’t be the only person who has made that mistake on the day of the interview..
    I don’t think I will be labeled as a “fraud person”.

Lastly, does the embassy appreciate the fact, that a person who has low chances of getting issued a visa, has previously visited the US with a travel visa and didn’t stay illegally, nor committed any crime during his stay. Does that make any difference or is it irrelevant ?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.